Friday, November 1, 2013

The Calendar Says Fall......Close Enough

Being a Texan, fall is always a season I struggle with.  Text book says it should be cooler weather and warm clothes, but Texas never fails to NOT deliver these conditions.  I am so ready to start my fall cooking, I said screw the temperature, I'm making soup!  OOOHHH the joy I get from making a big pot of any kind of soup.  Seriously, soups have to be one of the easiest things to make.  In fact so easy that I'm not attaching a recipe card to this blog, just take in what I write and run with it....you can't screw it up :) Next I made some banana bread with the 300 bananas I have frozen, because I continue to buy them, although no one seems to be eating them.  I got the recipe for the bread from one of my favorite Food Network girls, Ree Drummond (click on her name to get the recipe).  Now Ree doesn't like bananas AT ALL, yet she liked this recipe, which should have been my first clue that it would need more bananas, lol.  The texture and consistency were heavenly, but I would add a good 1/4c to 1/2c more bananas than her recipe calls for.  Will definitely make this again, with my remaining 294 frozen bananas :)
For the soup, I threw a couple of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot Saturday night before I went to bed.  Now normally I always use bone in when I make soups, somehow the flavor is different, but I had thawed out these boneless ones, and they worked none the less.  Now I'm not into pureed soups.  They may as well be vegetable smoothies if you ask me.  A soup has to be chunky and have good consistency, so I usually always pile mine up with tons of veggies.  So back to the soup, by the next morning I had cooked breasts and broth, YAY!  I then transferred all of this to a big pot on the stove and threw in all my vegetables: celery, cabbage, zucchini, squash, onion & carrots.  In addition, I added some extra homemade broth I had on hand (yes, I go by the name of Martha Stewart sometimes), along with extra water and some chicken broth seasoning.  Let that cook for a few hours and YUMM!!
As long as I didn't go outside, it was easy to eat my soup and bread with the AC turned down low and create my own little fall from inside :)  Happy Fall!




No comments:

Post a Comment